‘Must do’s’ when staying at the Couvent in Hérépian:
1. Relax in the gardens and swim in the pool at the Couvent.
2. Walk up the Gorges d’Héric (17km west of Hérépian on the D908) Spectacular gorge. Stunning views. Countless waterfalls. Swim in the rock pools. Take a picnic. There is a café when you reach the hamlet of Héric.
3. Go for a cycle ride along the old railway track. The track passes through Hérépian and continues for miles – to Bédarieux in the east and through countless towns and villages along the River Orb and then the River Jour to the west. The Couvent has bikes you can use.
4. An easy walk from the Couvent: up to Notre Dame de Capimont. Lovely views over Hérépian and surrounding countryside. See link for details.
5. Car Tour of Villages: pick up the leaflet ‘Upper Languedoc: A day, a route, a local terroir’ from Hérépian tourist office. Try the car tour which passes through Hérépian, Bédarieux, Boussagues, Camplong … and Combes.
6. Canoe down the River Orb: tackle the rapids, swim, picnic, relax! (20 minutes west of Hérépain at Tarassac)
7. Visit the picturesque village of Olargues – (20km west of Hérépian on the D908) or Roquebrun with its fascinating Mediterranean Gardens. (A 40 minute scenic drive from Hérépian.)
8. Taste the local wines in Faugères (9km from Hérépian: D909A south, then D909, left turn onto D10 towards Pézanas) or St Chinian (45km from Hérépian) : see link
9. Visit Pézanas (32km west of Hérépian: D909A, D909, D13) for their massive Saturday market or Lamalou-les-bains: (4km west of Hérépian on the D908) for their Tuesday market 8am – 1pm.
10. Canal du Midi: If you want to arrange boat hire ask at the tourist office in Hérépian. One option is to hire a boat from Villeneuve-les-Béziers (D909 south from Hérépian). It’s a pretty town to visit afterwards. Don’t miss the fascinating mural of a house in the centre of town!
‘Must Visit’ Restaurants when staying at the Couvent in Hérépian:
• Have lunch at the Auberge de Combes*: (10km from Hérépian. Take the D908 from Hérépian to Lamelou, continue as far as Poujol-sur-Orb and then turn right onto the small and windy D180 which leads to the village) excellent restaurant in a beautiful hilltop village. 3 course lunch with a glass of wine costs 25 Euros on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
• Have lunch or dinner at L’Auberge de l’Abbaye (Villemagne-l’Argentière): (3km north on D922 from Hérépian) Lovely restaurant/ beautiful setting (poppy fields).
• Ocre Rouge: in the square beside the Couvent. Excellent food.
• The Table d’Hôte at the Couvent is excellent value.